Goals and resolutions don’t need to start at the beginning of the year, but a new year gives us all an opportunity to reassess the goals that we set for last year and try to figure out what we still have an opportunity to work on. A clean slate, if you will.
A lot of people start fresh at the gym, swear off sweets, vow to not date any more people who aren’t good to them etc. No goal is too big or small, if you put your mind to it! It’s better to fail, and fall on your face, than never try at all! I’ve fallen on my face numerous times, on all fronts haha
Looking back here are some key highlights from my 2015, some of my new favourite people, and goals for 2016!
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2015…
- Personal training – got a trainer for the first time, and am more ambitious than ever when it comes to health and fitness goals.
- Boston trip to see the Jays play at Fenway. A dream come true!
- Nashville trip – fav part – Bluebird Cafe acoustic session (for all you Nashville tv show fans!)
- Cottage time – adventuring at the cottage with my favs this summer, fishing, trolling, water wading, bon fires, laughs and fun.
- Living on my own – it has been freedom that I’ve never experienced before and it’s the best! I’ll dance in my undies if I want to!
- Letting myself fall hard in ‘like’ – love is too strong of a word. I’m not ready for that yet haha
- Hanging out with my 94-year-old Grandma at Christmas, and making jokes about getting wasted and tearing up the town.
- Running an 8k race with Hilary on the tarmac of the Downsview Airport.
- Bonding with my bro before and during this Christmas holiday. I really appreciate him, and I have a lot to learn about the grown-up version of my little bro. He’s a gem. ❤
- Finishing a half marathon in under 2 hours and 30 minutes. Not by much, but it still counts!
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2015…
- Not hitting all my fitness goals this year.
- Meeting a guy that I really connected with who I thought was super awesome; our first date felt like six and like I was talking to someone I knew my whole life. Timing is everything though and it just didn’t work out. Excited for new man-adventures this year 🙂
- Not being as good of a friend as I sometimes need to be. I want to be more present and there for the people who need me, like they are for me!
- Realizing that sometimes trying to change things is a bigger hurdle than you could ever imagine. It does take one person to initiate change, but it also can take a village to help support. (I know I combined sayings here… but work with me village, work with me…)
- Having a personal trainer who didn’t actually seem engaged in helping me with my fitness goals. After re-assessing and getting a new trainer mid-way through, I feel recharged and like it’s making a difference the way that I had hoped.
5 Goals for 2016
- Organize and launch a run in my dad (Pete’s) memory – Run for the Love of Pete to raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- To do something with my life, that is my true passion.
- To not just ‘lose more weight’ but get even fitter. Body composition has definitely changed for the better and I feel so much stronger and leaner. Just need to keep at it and not quit 🙂
- Run a 5K in less than 30 minutes, and a 10K in less than 58 minutes.
- Run a 10K with my buddy Darryl. Accountability partners are where it is at, budddayyy!
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Stacie K- Watch out for this one guys! She’s a figure competitor, and she’s working hard this year for a show she’s gonna win 😉 I met her through a friend of a friend, and she’s become a staple in my every day – including snaps, gym talks and me trying to get her to take up running.
- Marissa Lok – Honey Badger don’t give a f*ck! One of the hardest working people I’ve ever met. She most definitely takes one for the team, will be the last one up making sure things get done, and is one of the kindest, most thoughtful friends I’ve ever had.
- Lee Taylor and Aleisha Learoyd – Team Bell. Meetings, laughs, good times – excited for more to come. These two most definitely make me appreciate the smaller things in life ❤ (At least all 10 feet of your combined ;))
2015, it’s been great. I’ve learned a lot about myself, life, and love. I’ve decided to make 2016 about being present in all that I do – putting my phone down, appreciating the overall experiences and adventures.
Happy training, cheers to 2016, and to the year of being present!
Once again I’ve put together my list of New Years
resolutions goals for 2015 and below have done some reflection on 2014.
It was quite the year. I like to think of it as one that helped me grow into the person I am today. Life doesn’t always turn out the way you plan, and sometimes the universe has its own plan for you. 2014 did not really turn out to be the “Year of Bexx” as I had hoped in my post from last year, but like I said, sometimes it’s within those lovely things that are unplanned and unexpected that you truly find happiness with who you are, and what you have to offer this world!
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2014…
- Flo Coe does TO. My mom finally came to Toronto to visit me. I’ve been here for like seven years! She took a bus, streetcar and subway, visited the Christmas market with me, had an amazing time at Absolute Comedy and put herself outside of her comfort zone to come and see me!! I’m so proud of her, and excited that she came!
- Cincinnati baseball trip this summer, and hockey road trips to Detroit and Buffalo. To teaching people how to shot-guns beers, Chicago PD’ing door opens, getting ‘by the glass’ seats to see the Wings, to touring CinCity with some of my fav travel pals, Nick, Anj and Kristi – epic roadies are in store for 2015 too!
- Being maid of honour, limo (truck) driver, and MC at my cousin Melissa’s wedding. One of the most fun weddings I’ve ever been too, great guest list, and amazing bride and groom.
- Running the Sporting Life 10k in the Spring for Hilary’s first race! So many epic races set for this year with this lovely lady!!! 5k, 10K and a half marathon! Bring it on 2015!!! Hilary – you inspire me!
- Summer ciders, day drinks with the ladies, and a surprise birthday party hosted by some of the best friends I’ve ever had! Thank you, you guys mean so much to me!!!
- Thanksgiving in the Kawarthas. I spent it with a great family, and friends! What an honour. Thanks for the invite, Kristi!
- Cruising around in a new Chevy Camaro via a perk from Klout! What a slick and amazing ride. I’d buy two if it were in my budget 😉
- Having a wonderful Valentine’s date with my friend Darryl and Alex. Thanks for letting me borrow him Em! We always have so much fun!
- Canada’s Wonderland on a not so sunny day with Hilary. We had so much fun, and learned that we’re ‘too old’ for some things hahah
- Hallowe’en 2014 – dressed as lawn gnomes, filled with jello shots, and friends who never let me down for a good time. We may have drank a bit much like we were eleventeen, but I’m so thankful to have all of you in my life.
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2014…
- Getting laid off from my job at Corby. Being unemployed for six months taught me a lot about myself, my friends and family (who relentlessly remind me that I’m awesome no matter what,) that it doesn’t just happen to me, and sometimes things are just out of your own control 😉
- I have still yet to find my Romeo. I think that is more so a result of me not always being happy with who I am. I’m going to try to work on this in 2015.
- Applying to ten million jobs, getting interviews, thinking they went great and not getting the jobs. It’s a way more competitive job market than I’ve ever seen out there. I’ve realized through all this that work culture plays a huge role in determining where you want to work, and who you want to work for. Sometimes you learn later that some of the ‘rejection’ was blessing in disguise.
- Not getting to see Eminem live in Squamish.
- Getting a text message from someone who meant to send it to someone else. Sometimes technology is the devil. You learn a lot about other people though, and yourself.
5 Goals for 2015
- To run a half marathon in under 2h30 minutes.
- Get a raise at my new job, and rock their socks off as their new Project Manager on an awesome account!!
- Run a 5K in less than 30 minutes, and a 10K in less than 58 minutes.
- Keep up with blogging. I said this one last year, but I need to stay more true to it! It’s a great way to talk out loud, without saying anything 😉
- Lose 40 lbs. I’m well on my way! 🙂
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Erin MacIntyre– I met this girl in university through a great friend of mine, but only got to really know her this summer. This girl is a gem. She makes me laugh, has a genuine heart, and is an overall amazing friend! Thanks, for being my Snapchat animal drawing pal, and the best holiday party date ever!
- Brit Smith – I met this lovely lady at a friend’s b day party. Sometimes you just meet a person you know you’ll be friends with them after the party – and it’s this girl! She’s an inspiration when it comes to the gym, and healthy eats. She’s always my biggest motivator and fan! Can’t wait for more ikea trips, dinner parties and workout seshs!
- Don Laitinen– childhood forced friends (by our parents), thank you Facebook and Fitbit for reconnecting us. This dude always listens even though he is all the way in Ottawa to my crazy tales, makes me laugh when I want to punch people, and his dedication to the gym and healthy eats keeps me on my toes. You inspire me to be better! #besties
2014, ahhhhh, good-fricken-bye. It was a slice, but I’m moving on to 2015 – which started with a new job as a project manager, started an awesome 30 day cleanse, a new roomie moving in that I am really excited about and a car purchase happening in the Spring! (If anyone has recos, let me know :))
Happy training, and cheers to 2015!
Every year some old roomies from university and I share our New Years resos. (You can see last year’s post here: NYE 2013 List) I’ve decided to make mine public, and I sit here (proudly) hang-over free, at 8 am writing this while the condo is quiet and most of you have yet to rise (except for the hardcores who have already been out at 6 am running 8k and stuff haha 😉 [Bexx note: I then got distracted, cleaned, went to a movie, then did some work, and am now completing this entry. I am like Dory in Finding Nemo- ‘Something shiny” heh.]
I didn’t really quite accomplish the goals I set out to do in 2013 fully, but I still had a great year – great friendships, meeting wonderful new people, and reuniting with some friends who I thought were lost forever. It’s been a good year of learning about myself, the world, and how much I can push myself when I need to. I have a feeling that 2014 is going to be the year of Bexx 😉 [Bexx note: I say this every year, and every year is equally as awesome for the record, all for different reasons of course!]
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2013…
- Realizing that not everyone is going to like you, or all the things you do, but you’re still going to do the best that you can.
- Being asked to be my cousin Melissa’s Maid of Honour in her July 2014 wedding.
- Winning a plank-off competition at bootcamp.
- Gaining more confidence in the public speaking world, and hitting a lot of goals I set for myself at work in terms of confidence, and measure of success.
- Having someone tell me that I was an inspiration to them 🙂
- Meeting a cab driver who changed my perspective on a major life event. It’s interesting who you will meet, and how they will change your life/perspective in only a very short time.
- Getting to see beautiful Dublin, Ireland and Barcelona, Spain this summer with some wonderful people! (Two more countries on my Life KPIs list complete!)
- Making great new friends, maintaining the old friendships and hearing from some people I never thought I would again!
- Spending time with my mom and bro this summer. As much as they tease me about being a princess, they still make me dinner and take care of me
- Going “skiing” with my cousin Melissa at Christmas. I haven’t laughed that hard in a really long time. Thank you for that.
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2013…
- Not winning the lottery, again.
- Not hitting all the fitness goals that I wanted to (BUT became a burpee queen regardless! WIN!)
- Getting stranded in Barcelona sans id/passport/credit cards. (Learning that your family and friends will always be there supporting you no matter how far away they are!)
- Not becoming Prime Minister of Canada. That’s always disappointing, not just in 2014! (I’m repeating this, I still think it’s equally as important this year.. haha)
- Learning that the Caramilk secret is still a secret 😉
5 Goals for 2014
- To run a sub 58 minute 10k. This year it will happen. 2014 you will be my b*tch!
- Get fit and have fun Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod styles. Work b*tch!
- Run a NWM half, with Jaymie.
- Post regularly on my blog! I always have issues with keeping up 🙂
- Actually tell people how I feel about things, and standing up for the things I believe in. Confidence will be key for me in this.
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Alex Giordano (@lexxgiodano) – Gym buddy of the year. This girl makes me giggle while planking, and always helps me push myself when I want to give up!
- Lindsey Chapman (@lindseygchapman) – It’s interesting to realize you can meet new friends at the bar too, not just men! 😉 Bubbly, funny, and entertaining, this lady is one of my new favs!
- Sammie Kennedy (@sammiekennedy) – Bootcamp and kick-boxing coach, she was even a good sport when we made her attend a twerking class this year, that I’m not supposed to talk about. ❤
Richard Bronson posted today using a quote from Confucius that I really like and he also added a few of his own words: “”A journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step.” By making one little change, you could have a profound positive effect on other people’s lives as well as your own.”
I hope you all had a great 2013, and will have an equally great, if not even better, 2014! May you accomplish all of the goals and resolutions that you set out for yourself!
We all look at the New Year as an opportunity to start fresh, a blank slate so to speak, an “I can do anything because it’s January 1st” kind of moment! I like that it is a new beginning, but I also want to remind myself that this blank slate shouldn’t mean that I forget all of which I have experienced and accomplished in the past year. (The gym will be more crowded this January and I will grumble and mumble things under my breath breaking my first New Year’s Resolution to be nicer…because someone is on my favourite machine at the gym, but I will try to remind myself that at some point that was me. ;))
As promised, here is my NYE List!!! I hope you all had a wonderful New Year’s Eve. I am so excited to see what in store in 2013!!
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2012…
- Running the lululemon Sea Wheeze half marathon in Vancouver. It was my first half marathon, and my first run of the scenic sea wall in Vancouver. I would recommend this race to anyone and everyone!!! So great!
- Being the maid of honour in my childhood best friend Chantal’s wedding. What an honour and privilege to be a part of her very special day.
- Having a Christmas dinner with some of my old roommates. We have the ability to laugh and make fun of each other/ourselves, and any situation for hours. No matter how long we are apart we always come together and it feels like we’ve never been apart.
- Presenting for the first time in front of my global brand owners, the VP and two directors, and having the VP tell me that I “did a great job in there.” My confidence in public speaking is on the rise 🙂
- Having Hilary come home with me this summer to vacation/staycation at my childhood home. We had so much fun, and I am always so grateful for my Hilary-time 🙂
- Spending time with my cousin Melissa this summer and during the Christmas holidays. She is one of my favourite people in the whole world and she is absolutely hilarious and amazing!
- Getting to see beautiful Jamaica and cross it off my goal list!
- Sales and marketing conference in Collingwood. Pre-gaming in the hotel before cocktails/dinner.
- Spending time with my mom and bro this Christmas. As much as they tease me about being a princess, they still make me dinner and take care of me 🙂
- Winter running in Cobalt at night. Best winter run of the season. Most definitely challenging with all those hills 🙂 The frozen eyelashes are obviously also a favourite of mine.
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2012…
- Not winning the lottery. My friend Kevin and I have been practicing week after week. We’re getting really good at playing the lottery, so it’s only fair if we win sometime soon! hah
- Gaining a lot of the weight back that I wanted to keep off and letting a lot of my fitness goals slip to the back burner of my life.
- Not beating my time in the Sporting Life 10k and realizing that I have a lot more work to do to get back into the shape I want to.
- Not becoming Prime Minister of Canada. That’s always disappointing, not just in 2012 😉
- Having a major falling out with one of my best friends 😦
5 Goals for 2013
- To run a sub 58 minute 10k.
- To practice what I preach and become the fitness guru I’d love to be. 🙂
- Travel more and see the world.
- Keep up with the blogging and improve my writing as much as I can.
- Hit my goal weight.
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Jo (@clickflickca) – This social media guru never ceases to amaze me. He’s everywhere all the time, and he makes an amazing partner in crime at fashion shows!
- Rae Gibson (@raeraegibson) – One of my favs, great mentor, running buddy and office giggle sharer.
- Jentzen- (@JentzenMShea) – Sometimes you just meet someone who you can sit down and chat with over London Fogs for hours 🙂
- Mitch- (@MitchParkerRE) – VIP to me, important member of the trifecta, and has a corny sense of humour like yours truly. (I’m sure you’ve noticed that this is 4 Best new people and not 3, but I rarely follow the rules 😉 Rules are made to be broken in some cases hah.)
Happy New Year everyone!! May you set some great goals for yourself, and stick with them 🙂