Goals and resolutions don’t need to start at the beginning of the year, but a new year gives us all an opportunity to reassess the goals that we set for last year and try to figure out what we still have an opportunity to work on. A clean slate, if you will.
A lot of people start fresh at the gym, swear off sweets, vow to not date any more people who aren’t good to them etc. No goal is too big or small, if you put your mind to it! It’s better to fail, and fall on your face, than never try at all! I’ve fallen on my face numerous times, on all fronts haha
Looking back here are some key highlights from my 2015, some of my new favourite people, and goals for 2016!
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2015…
- Personal training – got a trainer for the first time, and am more ambitious than ever when it comes to health and fitness goals.
- Boston trip to see the Jays play at Fenway. A dream come true!
- Nashville trip – fav part – Bluebird Cafe acoustic session (for all you Nashville tv show fans!)
- Cottage time – adventuring at the cottage with my favs this summer, fishing, trolling, water wading, bon fires, laughs and fun.
- Living on my own – it has been freedom that I’ve never experienced before and it’s the best! I’ll dance in my undies if I want to!
- Letting myself fall hard in ‘like’ – love is too strong of a word. I’m not ready for that yet haha
- Hanging out with my 94-year-old Grandma at Christmas, and making jokes about getting wasted and tearing up the town.
- Running an 8k race with Hilary on the tarmac of the Downsview Airport.
- Bonding with my bro before and during this Christmas holiday. I really appreciate him, and I have a lot to learn about the grown-up version of my little bro. He’s a gem. ❤
- Finishing a half marathon in under 2 hours and 30 minutes. Not by much, but it still counts!
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2015…
- Not hitting all my fitness goals this year.
- Meeting a guy that I really connected with who I thought was super awesome; our first date felt like six and like I was talking to someone I knew my whole life. Timing is everything though and it just didn’t work out. Excited for new man-adventures this year 🙂
- Not being as good of a friend as I sometimes need to be. I want to be more present and there for the people who need me, like they are for me!
- Realizing that sometimes trying to change things is a bigger hurdle than you could ever imagine. It does take one person to initiate change, but it also can take a village to help support. (I know I combined sayings here… but work with me village, work with me…)
- Having a personal trainer who didn’t actually seem engaged in helping me with my fitness goals. After re-assessing and getting a new trainer mid-way through, I feel recharged and like it’s making a difference the way that I had hoped.
5 Goals for 2016
- Organize and launch a run in my dad (Pete’s) memory – Run for the Love of Pete to raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- To do something with my life, that is my true passion.
- To not just ‘lose more weight’ but get even fitter. Body composition has definitely changed for the better and I feel so much stronger and leaner. Just need to keep at it and not quit 🙂
- Run a 5K in less than 30 minutes, and a 10K in less than 58 minutes.
- Run a 10K with my buddy Darryl. Accountability partners are where it is at, budddayyy!
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Stacie K- Watch out for this one guys! She’s a figure competitor, and she’s working hard this year for a show she’s gonna win 😉 I met her through a friend of a friend, and she’s become a staple in my every day – including snaps, gym talks and me trying to get her to take up running.
- Marissa Lok – Honey Badger don’t give a f*ck! One of the hardest working people I’ve ever met. She most definitely takes one for the team, will be the last one up making sure things get done, and is one of the kindest, most thoughtful friends I’ve ever had.
- Lee Taylor and Aleisha Learoyd – Team Bell. Meetings, laughs, good times – excited for more to come. These two most definitely make me appreciate the smaller things in life ❤ (At least all 10 feet of your combined ;))
2015, it’s been great. I’ve learned a lot about myself, life, and love. I’ve decided to make 2016 about being present in all that I do – putting my phone down, appreciating the overall experiences and adventures.
Happy training, cheers to 2016, and to the year of being present!
Every year some old roomies from university and I share our New Years resos. (You can see last year’s post here: NYE 2013 List) I’ve decided to make mine public, and I sit here (proudly) hang-over free, at 8 am writing this while the condo is quiet and most of you have yet to rise (except for the hardcores who have already been out at 6 am running 8k and stuff haha 😉 [Bexx note: I then got distracted, cleaned, went to a movie, then did some work, and am now completing this entry. I am like Dory in Finding Nemo- ‘Something shiny” heh.]
I didn’t really quite accomplish the goals I set out to do in 2013 fully, but I still had a great year – great friendships, meeting wonderful new people, and reuniting with some friends who I thought were lost forever. It’s been a good year of learning about myself, the world, and how much I can push myself when I need to. I have a feeling that 2014 is going to be the year of Bexx 😉 [Bexx note: I say this every year, and every year is equally as awesome for the record, all for different reasons of course!]
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2013…
- Realizing that not everyone is going to like you, or all the things you do, but you’re still going to do the best that you can.
- Being asked to be my cousin Melissa’s Maid of Honour in her July 2014 wedding.
- Winning a plank-off competition at bootcamp.
- Gaining more confidence in the public speaking world, and hitting a lot of goals I set for myself at work in terms of confidence, and measure of success.
- Having someone tell me that I was an inspiration to them 🙂
- Meeting a cab driver who changed my perspective on a major life event. It’s interesting who you will meet, and how they will change your life/perspective in only a very short time.
- Getting to see beautiful Dublin, Ireland and Barcelona, Spain this summer with some wonderful people! (Two more countries on my Life KPIs list complete!)
- Making great new friends, maintaining the old friendships and hearing from some people I never thought I would again!
- Spending time with my mom and bro this summer. As much as they tease me about being a princess, they still make me dinner and take care of me
- Going “skiing” with my cousin Melissa at Christmas. I haven’t laughed that hard in a really long time. Thank you for that.
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2013…
- Not winning the lottery, again.
- Not hitting all the fitness goals that I wanted to (BUT became a burpee queen regardless! WIN!)
- Getting stranded in Barcelona sans id/passport/credit cards. (Learning that your family and friends will always be there supporting you no matter how far away they are!)
- Not becoming Prime Minister of Canada. That’s always disappointing, not just in 2014! (I’m repeating this, I still think it’s equally as important this year.. haha)
- Learning that the Caramilk secret is still a secret 😉
5 Goals for 2014
- To run a sub 58 minute 10k. This year it will happen. 2014 you will be my b*tch!
- Get fit and have fun Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod styles. Work b*tch!
- Run a NWM half, with Jaymie.
- Post regularly on my blog! I always have issues with keeping up 🙂
- Actually tell people how I feel about things, and standing up for the things I believe in. Confidence will be key for me in this.
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Alex Giordano (@lexxgiodano) – Gym buddy of the year. This girl makes me giggle while planking, and always helps me push myself when I want to give up!
- Lindsey Chapman (@lindseygchapman) – It’s interesting to realize you can meet new friends at the bar too, not just men! 😉 Bubbly, funny, and entertaining, this lady is one of my new favs!
- Sammie Kennedy (@sammiekennedy) – Bootcamp and kick-boxing coach, she was even a good sport when we made her attend a twerking class this year, that I’m not supposed to talk about. ❤
Richard Bronson posted today using a quote from Confucius that I really like and he also added a few of his own words: “”A journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step.” By making one little change, you could have a profound positive effect on other people’s lives as well as your own.”
I hope you all had a great 2013, and will have an equally great, if not even better, 2014! May you accomplish all of the goals and resolutions that you set out for yourself!
We all look at the New Year as an opportunity to start fresh, a blank slate so to speak, an “I can do anything because it’s January 1st” kind of moment! I like that it is a new beginning, but I also want to remind myself that this blank slate shouldn’t mean that I forget all of which I have experienced and accomplished in the past year. (The gym will be more crowded this January and I will grumble and mumble things under my breath breaking my first New Year’s Resolution to be nicer…because someone is on my favourite machine at the gym, but I will try to remind myself that at some point that was me. ;))
As promised, here is my NYE List!!! I hope you all had a wonderful New Year’s Eve. I am so excited to see what in store in 2013!!
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2012…
- Running the lululemon Sea Wheeze half marathon in Vancouver. It was my first half marathon, and my first run of the scenic sea wall in Vancouver. I would recommend this race to anyone and everyone!!! So great!
- Being the maid of honour in my childhood best friend Chantal’s wedding. What an honour and privilege to be a part of her very special day.
- Having a Christmas dinner with some of my old roommates. We have the ability to laugh and make fun of each other/ourselves, and any situation for hours. No matter how long we are apart we always come together and it feels like we’ve never been apart.
- Presenting for the first time in front of my global brand owners, the VP and two directors, and having the VP tell me that I “did a great job in there.” My confidence in public speaking is on the rise 🙂
- Having Hilary come home with me this summer to vacation/staycation at my childhood home. We had so much fun, and I am always so grateful for my Hilary-time 🙂
- Spending time with my cousin Melissa this summer and during the Christmas holidays. She is one of my favourite people in the whole world and she is absolutely hilarious and amazing!
- Getting to see beautiful Jamaica and cross it off my goal list!
- Sales and marketing conference in Collingwood. Pre-gaming in the hotel before cocktails/dinner.
- Spending time with my mom and bro this Christmas. As much as they tease me about being a princess, they still make me dinner and take care of me 🙂
- Winter running in Cobalt at night. Best winter run of the season. Most definitely challenging with all those hills 🙂 The frozen eyelashes are obviously also a favourite of mine.
TOP 5 DISAPPOINTMENTS IN 2012…
- Not winning the lottery. My friend Kevin and I have been practicing week after week. We’re getting really good at playing the lottery, so it’s only fair if we win sometime soon! hah
- Gaining a lot of the weight back that I wanted to keep off and letting a lot of my fitness goals slip to the back burner of my life.
- Not beating my time in the Sporting Life 10k and realizing that I have a lot more work to do to get back into the shape I want to.
- Not becoming Prime Minister of Canada. That’s always disappointing, not just in 2012 😉
- Having a major falling out with one of my best friends 😦
5 Goals for 2013
- To run a sub 58 minute 10k.
- To practice what I preach and become the fitness guru I’d love to be. 🙂
- Travel more and see the world.
- Keep up with the blogging and improve my writing as much as I can.
- Hit my goal weight.
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Jo (@clickflickca) – This social media guru never ceases to amaze me. He’s everywhere all the time, and he makes an amazing partner in crime at fashion shows!
- Rae Gibson (@raeraegibson) – One of my favs, great mentor, running buddy and office giggle sharer.
- Jentzen- (@JentzenMShea) – Sometimes you just meet someone who you can sit down and chat with over London Fogs for hours 🙂
- Mitch- (@MitchParkerRE) – VIP to me, important member of the trifecta, and has a corny sense of humour like yours truly. (I’m sure you’ve noticed that this is 4 Best new people and not 3, but I rarely follow the rules 😉 Rules are made to be broken in some cases hah.)
Happy New Year everyone!! May you set some great goals for yourself, and stick with them 🙂