This summer I’ve found a lot of favourites, that will continue to be favs into the cooling down months! (We all shudder when the F-word is mentioned, so I won’t say Fall ;))
1- Fablectics – I suppose I can’t really say it is one thing – it is many things. I have so many awesome capri tights that continuously get me compliments at the gym with awesome new patterns; I have cute workout shirts, and a killer tote bag envied by many. Kate Hudson – you done right! My fav piece is the bag to the left, with its beautiful graffiti-like design, that I use for soccer and quick travel weekends. Superb!
2- Life Brand Exfoliating Face Wipes – I run, train with my trainer three times a week, do yoga and play soccer.
That means I’m often a sweaty mess. These wipes were reco’d to me by my fellow super fitness fanatic friend Hilary (you can read about her and her amazing fitness journey here). These wipes swipe that gross-sweaty-salty-after-sport grit off of your face and exfoliate your skin. They make you feel like you’ve just washed your face, even if your reality looks more like sitting on the side of a soccer field post-game taking off your soccer cleats! 3. amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo – I got a tester of this lovely product and used it for the first time when I was in a pinch between work and an event. When you’re on the run, and you’ve worked out, or even just had a long day – this dry shampoo smells great, and really dries up and freshens those less than fresh (read: greasy) spots. That sounds like an infomercial. You’re welcome.
5. The Daily Crave Veggie Chips – I was at a gourmet grocery store (why, I’m not sure) and I found these gems. Tasty like a real chip, but wayyyyy less salty, gluten free, vegan free… haha kidding. They are vegan though for real! They are also dairy free, with no artificial flavours or colouring, non GMO, and no hydrogenated fats. (Check out their website for more info!)
6. PC Blue Menu Sparkling Water – I’m trying to give up pop. I love Coke Zero, but hate the idea of aspartame. That being said I was looking for an alternative that still gave me the fizz aspect with some flavour. With no additional sugars, this one won. I love all the flavours they offer, but mandarin is my top pick of the bunch. They offer lemon, lime, and pomegranate blueberry as well!
If you could add to the list what are some of your favourites from the summer that would be greatly enjoyed by all this Fall to accompany their healthy-ish lifestyles? Let us know 🙂
What does your summer gym bag need in it! Here are 3 of the things that I don’t leave home without!
1- Sunscreen- I must admit that I have tried a few different types of sunscreen, mostly because I burn and turn into a lobster shortly after being in the sun. If you have ever vacationed with me or played a sport with me, you’ve probably at some point been asked to help me apply sunscreen to my back. You’re welcome. My skin thanks you. Don’t be embarrassed or think it’s not cool to put on the sunscreen. I’ve been there; I’ve blistered. Just don’t. If you’re outdoors for any sport, make sunscreen your best bud! Coppertone SPORT is my absolutely favourite!
2- Water.. (or Wahta, whichever you prefer really.) Make sure you bring some with you wherever you go. You never know when you’ll be stuck outside in the heat, or on a smelly streetcar. When you’re playing sports or running, make sure you bring some with you in your fuel belt or in a large water bottle. No sun/heat stroke for you! Sometimes when water feels like it’s just not enough, grab some Wahta and try it out. Fun to say and drink, it’s a new one that I love to carry around.
3– Nuun Energy– I was asked to review these, and I absolutely love these tablets. I have tried the Cherry Limeade and they’re my favourite so far. They give me that little boost of energy that I need in the afternoon to keep me on track for my upcoming workouts in the early evenings! I’m must confess I used to have soda in the afternoon, but I’m trying to give it up. This is a great alternative for me. I don’t drink coffee, so this is my only source of caffeine.
Happy Summer, guys! Hope the heat treats you well!
If you’re reading my blog from California a) I’m jealous and b) this post may not pertain to you, unless you plan on visiting me in Canada. *This is perfectly fine and welcomed.*
I workout close to home, so I tend to boot it home and shower here versus showering at the gym. I also tend to change at work from work clothes into my gym gear (suit-up, if you will) to save time too. I’m not sure how many of you do this as well, but regardless I think there are a few items that you should have on hand for that walk home or to the gym to make your winter wonderland walking a success.
I’m a huge fan this season of leg warmers. One may say I have a bit of an obsession with them. My favourite to put on these days over my workout tights to keep the ‘pistons of power’ (Read: legs) warm, are from Grace and Lace. They recently appeared on Shark Tank, so it’s a bit of a wait to get them sent to you, but SOOOO worth it. They’re cute, warm, and if you put them under your boots, the little lace part sticks out and gives your outfit some pazazz! *spirit fingers*. Your legs also stay warm, which is ultimately the goal at the end of the day.
The second piece that I love for winter is a nice loose toque that I like to refer to as ‘the hipster toque.’ Now mine is bright red and has a pompom on it, and it cost a dollar. However, you could go more upscale with your ‘to and from the gym toque” – the world is your oyster. It’s great for after the gym – you can throw it over gym hair that may not be acceptable looking to that hottie on the street who’s checking you out. Think about it, a nice little toque adds that ‘you’re cute’ factor to some hair that could potentially otherwise just look like a sweaty mess. Think about it. Functionally, your head stays warm as well – BONUS! 🙂
The third item is a nice comfy pair of jogging pants. These days my favourite pair are from Roots. They’re the classic-style baggy jogging pants. They can go over your workout shorts, capris or tights, and they add that extra barrier between you and the winter wind. I love how comfy and baggy they are. They’re also great for lounging on a regular day, or perhaps at an après-ski type situation by a cozy fire.
For all of you starting some awesome new years resolutions at the gym, hopefully this helps! For you pros out there, feel free to add some of your tips/favourite gear in the blog comments section! Sharing means caring!
In Bexx-ercize Your Workout Closet I let you guys in on some Bexx favs when it comes to workout clothes. Now I rarely switch up my essentials, but most recently I’ve decided to add some new items that I now absolutely love! I am not affiliated with any of this brands (opinions are all my own) I’m just being honest because it’s what I wear :)) Let’s start with the head and work our way down:
Sparkly Soul headband With my new fringe, I need to keep my hair out of my eyes. This non-slip headband not only does the trick (I have a silver thin one) but it stays in place. That is key – plus, it sparkles – need I say more? 😉
Under Armour AllSeasonGear Long Sleeve- I live in Canada (eh?) and so keeping warm in between workouts, and on my way to and from the gym or my workout classes is important. Everyone wants to steal this shirt. I can’t blame them, but that’s why I practice sprints every now and again – you never know when someone is going to try to punk your favourite workout shirt.
Lululemon Run: Inspire Crop II– These are my new favourite running capris. I like that they come up a bit higher on the waist than most workout pants. When you’re kicking butt at burpees the last thing that you want to worry about is losing your pants. (Trust me I’ve been there….hah.) There’s also a drawstring in the front in case you’re really worried. My legs are a bit short, so the capris are a bit longer on me, but I still love them. There’s also a great pocket to store things (like keys) in the back.
Pro Compression Trainer Low Socks– I love these socks. I own some full length (up to the knee) compression socks, but I also love this lower version which still provide the foot with compression while you work out. I alternate between different kinds of socks, but these are a current favourite. I have them in pink (as pictured.) They’re lightweight and have great moisture control for the feet. Stink and sweat be gone!
My shoes are always Asics. I own about five pairs, so I won’t bore you with that 🙂
Yeah, I just wrote that….. I went there…. haha I’m laughing because I think it’s funny. As most of you know, I tend to do that a lot.
Moving right along…. a few of my close friends and I have been chatting recently about our favourite workout gear and I thought that I would share some of mine. This is totally not a solicited review of any kind, and totally just my random opinions on the workout gear that I will mention below.
I have a few favourite items that are must haves for me during a challenging workout:
1) Under Armor HeatGear Capri Tights– These tights are great for running, and also boot camping activities. They are tight, provide compression and are very breathable. I wear them in the summer and the winter. I have used them indoors and out. I tend to heat up a lot and man-sweat (as I like to call it…why am I single?!? oh yeahhhh) so sometimes these are even perfect for a nice crisp fall/winterish day. I have worn quite a few different types of pants to work out in, and these are by far my favourite.
2) Lululemon’s Ta Ta Tamer ii – I’ve always had trouble finding a good sports bra. Sometimes I used to have to wear two. Now I know some of you do not think this is a bad thing (namely men reading thinking.. yay boobs) but it really is key that the ladies stay tamed. Lululemon has done a lot to make sure that this bra keeps your ladies well in place, while also making sure you do not have what appears to be a ‘uniboob.’ YAY Lulu! I had the original, and now have upgraded. There have been a few changes for those of you who are old school and have only experienced the older version. A must-have for ladies wanting to keep their ladies under control, especially while running.
3) Lululemon’s Run: Swiftly Tech Long Sleeve Shirt – This one is one of my favs. I love wearing it to and from workouts, and also running outside. Very breathable and the thumb holes are key. Perfect for Fall/Spring running weather. I loved wearing this in the Fall last year running outside when it was just starting to get chilly. It’s one of my favourite to wear to and from workouts in the winter, because the thumb holes act as kind of like a glove, and that’s awesome because I always forget my mitts 😉 I also love the colours that are available. The seams are anti-chaffing and it also has some Silverscent technology that has anti-odour properties. Overall one of my favourite workout shirts.
So I hope that helps! These are just some of my favourite picks.
If there are any ‘must-haves’ that you recommend, please leave your comments below. I’d love to spring and buy myself some new gear! (that comes highly recommended of course :))