I’m going to have to edit my list a little bit, as there are a few things that I don’t want going public (read: names of boys/embarrassing details haah)…. but every year a wonderful group of friends and I, sit down (whether it’s together or in a coffee shop on our own) and reflect on the year that has passed. We list the top 10 outstanding moments of that year, whether we accomplished the 5 goals that we had set out for ourselves that year, 5 disappointments of the year (we can’t always be positive!) and the 5 new goals for the upcoming year. Last year we also added a “3 best people of the year” section. If we aren’t together we share via email. This happened last year.
Below you will see my email to the group from January 2012. I have edited it a bit to preserve some self-respect (I hope you don’t mind :))
To: Jay, Bren, JRod, Eroki, Paul, Jane, Jill
Subject: NYE List 2011 Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 14:33:01 -0500
TOP 10 OUTSTANDING MOMENTS OF 2011…
- Getting a promotion!!! As I’m sure you can reference below, that was a great disappointment for 2010. It took me a whole ‘nother year, and I got said promotion Dec 2010, but I did not give up.
- Being asked by my two lovely friends to MC their wedding, and doing it without looking silly, barfing, screwing up etc. Basically launching my career in stand-up is what I’m saying.
- Travelling to Sweden for work and actually getting my butt somewhere other than North America. although not on my own dime (yeehawwww!) I got to live like a queen and the experience is one that I surely will not forget for a long time.
- Getting published/interviewed for an article in Canadian Running magazine. Far from famous, but still super excited to be part of a publication 🙂
- Attending a course on Public Speaking, doing my speeches and gaining the skills that I need to do the best stuff ever.
- Meeting a boy that I really like, and realizing that sometimes it’s really not you the timing may just not be right- doesn’t mean the end of the world. I’m still learning, this is good 🙂
- Becoming a Big sister to a Little Brother through the Big/Little Program. Highlight- “Rebecca, because I’m 16 I’m going to be done the program soon (18), but that’s okay.. because even when this program is over I’m going to remember how much confidence that you have, and I’m going to be like you.”
- Dropping out of the half marathon a day before- to some this might not seem like a highlight- but for me this was a highlight and pivotal moment in my life where I said.. “no, you’re not prepared… there is nothing wrong with that, but you don’t have to do this if you’re not ready.” I never used to say no. Now I do 🙂
- Going home for Christmas and not getting into any fights at home. Although most of the majority of my time was spend elsewhere, i’d like to report that maybe just maybe we’ve (all my fam) has grown enough that we get along now? I’m probs jinxing next Christmas.
- Making my 90 grandmother laugh at Christmas and feel special. “You have not changed a bit since I’ve met you, Rebecca. You are still crazy!” ❤
- Not losing the final 40 lbs that I would like to.
- Finding two roommates who are less than my favourite people…. le sigh 😉 (randoms off craigslist)
- Finding someone who likes me, but sometimes it’s just not enough… = le single Bexx 😉 (Oh well, gives me more time to figure out me.. until I’m 40 ;))
- Getting dumped in a subway station. Subway dump has become his new name.
- My bestie Leanne quitting Corby. I miss seeing her everyday.5 GOALS for 2011
- To go parasailing
- To meet someone who compliments me and my life, at the right time 🙂 (my psychic says I’ll meet two dudes I need to decide between and be super happy and awesome/excited about love by Oct… so don’t panic.. hahaah
- To travel more, and see more of the world
- To pay down debts. Not all of it (unless I win the lottery,) but a nice chunk.
- Lose the last 40 lbs 🙂
3 Best New People of the Year-
- Amira De Vera– She is a friend from Twitter.. haha we met at an event, but since then we have hung out and become super close. She is a 5 foot (barely) tall bubble of energy. Absolutely amazing.
- MM (timing dude from above… I’m not giving up on him just yet.. but if it’s meant to be.. it will… if not.. I will marry Freddy Prince Jr. no big deal..)
- Sue McGrath- a new friend from work. I knew her before but we were not tight. We go to boot camp together now, and she is one of the most genuine, awesome, honest, amazing person that anyone could meet.